Tuesday, May 14, 2013

More for 14 May:  I forgot to mention that today was our first experience with boiling gasoline.  Shortly before we reached Truth or Consequences, the engine began to run rough and fuel pressure began dropping and fluctuating (sure glad I have that instrument working).  Switching tanks didn't help, but the engine kept running.  We stopped in T or C and Dennis got out to fill up with gas while I began entering the stop in the trip log.  He was soon tapping on my window, "...There's lots of pressure coming out when I try to take the gas cap off...".  After he let that bleed off slowly, he put about 18 gallons of fuel in.  That seemed to cool things down a bit because the engine ran well for another 20-30 miles.  Then it began to stumble on up-grades, but steady out as we reached the crests.  That continued all the way to Albuquerque.  Fortunately, it didn't persist in the city traffic.  I guess we're victims of the winter/summer changeover in blends.  At this point, with two pusher pumps and a surge tank feeding the high pressure pump, there's not much more I can do to prepare for the higher altitudes and steeper climbs ahead.  I may add a switch to parallel the pushers, hoping to keep the surge tank better supplied.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment