Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Up and out at 0730 EDT today, but then realized we couldn't make it to Memphis before their rush hour, so we stopped in the first rest area, had a leisurely breakfast and mosied on after an hour or so.  Memphis' traffic wasn't bad at all when we got there about 1000 EDT, except that the truck traffic is very heavy on I-40.

We're now at Little Rock AFB FamCamp, at Jacksonville, AR, just north of Little Rock.  Full hookups and 50 yards from the bath house.  We haven't found anything around here to interest Dennis except the on-base display airplanes:  C-47, F-101A, B-47, B-57, B58, C-130(s) (This is "Airlift Central".), and probably a couple I'm forgetting.  This is an exceptionally nice base:  Most buildings are new brick, the grounds are immaculately maintained, and the base housing appears, from the perimeter to be equally nice.  This is my first visit.  While the C-130 is nominally a Tactical Air Command airlift asset, and 95%+ of them are assigned to TAC, I was never in TAC.  Right out of pilot training, I took 3 months of Aircraft Qualification training at Sewart AFB before going to Hawaii to Air Force Systems Command for satellite recovery operations.  Later, I had 3 more months of Combat Crew training at Pope AFB for the Combat Talon program to which I was assigned in Vietnam -- again, a non-TAC operation.

The most thrilling thing we found to do was laundry -- 3 loads worth! :-(  And to think:  We'll have it all to do over again a week from now!  Ain't no justice.  If I wasn't afraid SHE'd smell me from here to Georgia, I might skip it. :-)

This evening I got around to checking on the fuel delivery problem.  The first guess was a good one:  When I removed and inverted the main tank's "next in line" fuel filter, mud ran out!  That's the first indication I've ever had of ANY debris in the tanks of this coach, in 15 years.  Pilot stations are on my LIST!  I only had one spare filter, so tomorrow I'll buy another for the Aux tank and 2 more for spares.  This was a good test of my decision to move the pumps and filters outside the frame rail:  It took only about a minute to swap out the filter.  But, if I ever again want to use parking brake cables, I'll have a problem.

Tune in tomorrow, same time, same station, for more exciting adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment